When I think estrogen I 100% think about my boobs.
Because, hellooooooo puberty. But it’s more than just boobs, I promise.
Estrogen dominance aka having hella estrogen in your body aka a *hormonal imbalance* is a pretty big deal. It has a long list of symptoms, but unaddressed it can contribute to health issues such as cysts, endometriosis, and breast cancer.
Estrogen is a group of sex hormones that are primarily produced by the ovaries and they play a crucial role in your health as a woman. They help us develop sexual characteristics such as breasts and help regulate our menstrual cycles.
If we have excess estrogen in our systems there can be a number of things that are contributing/ causing the hormonal imbalance:
- Hormonal Birth Control
- Endocrine disruptors (chemicals in cleaning products, beauty products, plastics)
- Poor gut health
- Slow elimination (we gotta poop ladies!!)
But the good thing about hormones is that they WANT to be in balance! Your body is craving hormonal synchronicity and you have a lot more control over it than you think you do!
- Drink your water – this assists your body in detoxing properly and naturally
- Sweat + get active – support the lymphatic system, digestive tract, burn body fat (where excess estrogen likes to set up camp)
- Poop! – we eliminate estrogen through our poop
- Do some research into your hormonal birth control! Is it contributing to your symptoms?
- Eat high quality foods – Organic and high quality meat when you can, check out the dirty dozen list of produce to know what to buy organic, lots of fruits and veggies to support digestion, slow carbs, and good fats like avocado and olive oil
- Upgrade your cleaning + beauty products – use the Think Dirty app to see what you’re actually putting in your body
- Ditch plastics – they’re fucking up your hormones
Questions? Drop em in the comments!
Need help with this stuff? Cool, that’s why I’m here! Set up a free call where we’ll come up with a plan for how to fix your hormones.