Body oils are the bread and butter of my skincare routine.
If I was on a deserted island and could only bring 3 things it would be 3 different oils.
I might die from lack of food and shelter, but as least my skin would be glowwy and plump.
One of my favorite ways to use oil is with a Castor Oil Pack.
Castor oil has a lot of healing properties, the big ones being that the main fatty-acid in castor oil has shown to reduce pain, swelling, and inflammation significantly. (1)
This is something I use for digestive pains, menstrual discomfort (or simply to encourage a healthy menstruation), when I’m stressed, or just when I need some self-care time.
It can be used for muscle inflammation anywhere, but for the sake of this post I will describe it as being used on the abdomen as I use it for what I listed above.
- Castor oil
- Natural (undyed) wool or cotton flannel that is the correct size to cover the abdomen
- Heating pad or hot water bottle
- Plastic wrap or plastic bag cut about double the size of the flannel
- A large towel to protect the bed/ sheets (castor oil will stain)
- Lay the towel down and pull blankets/ sheets back so that you may lay comfortably on the bed without touching anything you don’t want stained.
- Place the cloth (wool or flannel) into the container and pour the castor oil on top. You want it saturated but not soaked.
- Place the cloth over the abdomen.
- Cover the cloth with the plastic wrap.
- Place the heat source (water bottle or heating pad) on top of the cloth.
- Relax for the next 60 minutes or so. Read a book, catch up on The Bachelorette (#TeamPilotPete anyone????), or chat with your mom. Just make sure you’re freaking relaxed.
- When you’re done you can rub the oil in or clean yourself off. Personally, I like to feel like a slick baby dolphin but if you like dry, cracked skin that’s none of my business (I have 0 room to talk when my elbows could start a forest fire – there’s not enough oil in the world to save them).
- Store your pack in the fridge (covered) and you can reuse it 25-ish times! #lesswaste baby!!!
Have you tried this? Are you going to? Did I shame you (WITH LOVE) into using more body oils? I hope all of the above are a yes.